Seeger Weiss is investigating claims for a class action suit against Rheem for defective evaporator coils in their air conditioning units (“AC units”). The Atlanta-based company has been a leader in the air conditioning industry, and consumers expect quality AC units that last. But that might not be the case with certain models of Rheem’s AC units.

It has been reported that the evaporator coils of Rheem units leak just a short time after installation. If the leaks occur under warranty, Rheem might elect to replace the coils. However, it has been reported that the company is only willing to cover the cost of the parts—not the cost of labor. Moreover, if the coils leak outside of the short warranty period, the consumer must pay the cost of replacement coils and the labor, which could total nearly $2,000.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

I had the same failure of new Rheem coils within two years and filed with the state of SC consumer repairs, but do not have a disposition.I paid $2500 for installation labor and also the coil failure caused freezing that damaged my ceiling for $1300 damage.

From what I have researched, the design of the Rheem coils was seriously deficient for the new

federal regulations of the past few years.

As the SEER requirements rose

for efficiency, the engineering design of all manufacturer's copper

coil tubes became thinner. At the

same time, the change from freon R22 to the new R410A caused the compressor pressure to more than double to above 300 psig. The thinner tubes, plus much higher system pressure, caused the tiny formicary holes that used to be unnoticed or small insignificant leaks before, to become major failures. All manufacturers assumably knew of formicary corrosion before these stricter federal regulations came into place.

It was written about on the internet many years ago. For example, Trane recognized the issue and changed their design beforehand to aluminum coils. (Aluminum does not react to the formic acid and allow the holes. Aluminum is difficult to work with and repair, so Rheem apparently didn't want to switch.

But at least aluminum doesn't fail and leak within 2 years!). Rheem did not make the proactive design changes to go to the aluminum coil. Rheem has only recently gone to aluminum coils, almost overnight, seemingly only once they began receiving the failure reports from the field contractors.

This was seemingly a move on Rheem's part to avoid the higher costs of working with aluminum, at the expense of their customers.The technology and ability to avoid this issue was available- if only Rheem had made the same decision as Trane, we would not have these issues!

We have a Rheem air handler and heat pump purchased only 4 years ago brand new.

Purchase date 5/25/2013.

3/20/15 - Replaced compressor/line drier. Found that the indoor TXV was not feeding properly. Would need to be replaced.

3/24/15 - Replaced indoor TXV. Found that compressor valves were bad.

Compressor that was replaced on 3/20/15 was bad before installing it. They would have to replace the TXV when they replace the compressor again.

3/27/15 - Added Renew to system. Will recheck in a few days. $650.00

4/2/15 - Rechecked system.

Unit was making hissing noise. Reversing valve had gone bad and was replaced. 7/7/17 - Home Service equipment tune-up. $180.00 Refrigerant pressure tested and washed condensor coils.

All good. 10/7/17 - A/C making hissing noise all throughout the house. House 85+ degrees Had maintenace tuneup due for that date. Company said that blower motor is going and needed to be replaced.

He would order the part on Monday and would probably be here on Tuesday. 10/12/17 - 5 days/night without a/c 85 degree or higher outside. Company came out and removed blower assembly to find that the blower wheel had broken in the middle. He had to get the wheel from another store 20 miles away.

Replace blower assembly and wheel and checked outside unit for tune up. Unit was low on freon. "Muffler" unit was rusty and "leaking". Filled with 6 #s of R-410A.

Needs Muffler and outdoor TXV unit. Today's amount $270.00 and one missed day of work. 10/13/17 - Company called to say that labor for muffler and TXV would be $1100. We've had the same guy work on our unit and I'm not sure if it is because of his inefficiencies.

Something is definitely wrong with whole scenario. They come out to fix someone and something else needs to be fixed. We are fed up. Is there ANY help out there on this?

The labor is killing us. We were told that if we bought a brand new unit (inside and out) that we wouldn't have these problems.

We've had more problems now than with our old system.Help!

I have a Rheem A/C unit for my home.It was installed in May of 2011

The copper evaporator coil started showing signs of serious leakage in 2015 and again in 2016.

My installer was unable to find the leak so he just kept refilling the R410. Finally in the Spring of 2017 the system was very low so he kept testing until he found the evaporator coil was the cause of the constant leaking. So he removed the copper coil and Rheem told him my copper coil was now out of the 5 yr warranty. So he installed a new aluminum Rheem evaporator coil.

I had to pay $750 to replace the coil. This problem was a known type of failure and Rheem should have replaced the defective copper coil with a new aluminum coil under warranty. I should NOT have had to pay $750.

PG Balazsy

Haledon, NJ 07508

Crystal River, Florida, United States #1326557

Just found out my 2010 unit condenser coil has a very small leak. Took the repairman over a year to discover - ever after using an expensive die kit! You guessed it - the unit is not longer in warranty even though my records show that the service people have had to had about 1 pound of coolant every year??

Have the same issues.Constant leaks.

Unit barely 5 years old.

Second time coil replaced today 11/24/15.Had an aluminum one put in instead of copper.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States #1031194

Terry Gentry 4840 Crosscreek Ln GreenvilleSC 29615

This is my 4th time to have a coil replaced in my A/C

first time 2011 A/C installed

2nd coil 2013 labor 425.00

8/25/2015 paid 850.00 labor (to find a leak)

as of today 9/8/2015 another leak cost of labor 1500.00 I am sick of all this mess your equipment is no good. Coil no good!

Lexington, South Carolina, United States #820508

My unit in the attic is only four years old it is leaking cost me $500 to recharge it but it needs to be replaced. I got a price of $1300 to install the coil but rheem has to supply the coil.